Monday, August 16, 2010

Welcome Home

I decided today to do something a little different than usual. Instead of going out bird watching, I checked around at a few shelters and pet stores looking for a bird of my own that wouldn't fly away before I could take a picture. To my amazement, I was able to get one, a female cockatiel whose about 6 or 7 years old. I know a lot more about birds, than you would think, so I'm quite glad to have gotten her. She even warmed up to me fairly easily, as the shelter told me they had found her out in the wild and she had trouble warming up to anyone. She's very quiet though, and there is something about her that is different. I guess I'll have to figure that out as I get to know her better.

----
Here's a picture; like I said she's different. There's a mirror in her cage but she hardly ever looks into it, and when I put my phone into her cage in order to take this picture she became aggressive when she was calm only moments before.

4 comments:

  1. We used to have a female budgie a few years ago and she was easily irritated, I think that's pretty normal amongst females, but then again you're the bird expert. And I bet she was just frightened by the cellphone.
    Anyway, the pic's blurry but she still looks cute - since cockatiels are always cute. :3 Got any ideas for a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It usually is, from what I've observed amongst the wild birds.
    They really are, I could just watch her for hours really (if I didn't have more important things to do, that is.)
    I haven't, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm... what about Roc/Rukh, (great birds from Arabian legends)? Doesn't have much to do with her maybe, but it's short and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I think I'll name her Roc. I don't have many other ideas, and I think it'll suit her despite the fact she's nowhere near being one.
    Thanks for the help, Alice. 8D

    ReplyDelete